Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Discoveries

This is going to be an on-going every-changing post, full of random discoveries that I make throughout life.

Discovery #1 - How to use SuperGlue
You'd think that on the superglue package they'd say something like "Step 1 - Put on gloves." But no! The have the warnings, which no one reads, that say "Bonds to skin instantly" which for a college student who's never used anything like superglue, doesn't help anything. They need to have it as a step "put on gloves". Then I wouldn't have to spend twenty minutes trying to soak the stupid stuff out of my skin. And I still don't have it all out. (I think I'm the only girl anywhere who doesn't own a bottle of nail polish remover, which is why it's stupid that one of the only things that takes superglue out is nail polish remover. How is that logical?!) So basically, I discovered how NOT to use SuperGlue.

Discovery #2 - There is a Difference Between Phone and Internet Jacks
So, I moved into my room in this apartment and tried to connect to the internet. Come to find out, it is Ethernet, which I first of all had never heard of, and second of all never used. So I had to go buy an Ethernet cable (luckily these were clearly labeled). Then I get home and try the only jack I can find, and lo and behold! It's a phone jack. So now, I'm kinda annoyed. There is supposed to be internet...there's a jack downstairs that works, but the whole apartment is supposed to be wired. So we start looking for another jack...and we found it, behind the bed. So I move my bed so I can move my desk so I can access the Internet. Then I get this printer, and it has a fax machine. Now, I know I don't really use that, but in the event that I do (and because at the time I was having a stubborn young adult moment), I need access to the phone jack...across the room from the internet jack. Who designed this room? So I have to move everything around AGAIN so I can get the printer close enough to the phone line in case I need it and close enough to the computer so I can connect it and somewhere on the shelves, which also happen to be across the room from the Internet jack. Seriously? So now I have these cables running up and down the walls so that I can print from across the room...I'd really like a word with whoever designed this room...

Discovery #3 - Bikes on a College Campus
So we bought me this really nice roadbike so I could ride to school. But I calculated it out, and it takes 15 minutes to walk from home to my classes. By bike, it takes about 5 minutes to get to campus, dodging all the cars and pedestrians, 5 minutes to find a rack and lock my bike up, and 5-10 minutes to walk to my class, depending on where the rack I choose is. On top of that, I have to ride slowly through the student body, so I'm basically riding at a walking speed...so what's the point in riding my bike to school everyday? I've decided I'm going to walk because it's less of a hassle. I'm glad I have my bike, though, because pretty much any store with low prices is at least 5 blocks from where I live. I only wish it was easier to ride my bike everywhere because I LOVE riding my bike!

Discovery #4 - The Worst Place to Cut Yourself with a Knife
So, as you can tell and as you know from my other posts: I cut myself with a knife. Actually, I cut myself twice in two days. I don't know how I managed to get through 18 years at home without cutting myself once, and I'm on my own for a week and I cut myself twice...it's a cunnundrum I can't solve. But I found the worst place to cut yourself; AKA, don't do it here. The worst place you could cut your hand on a knife is the pad of your thumb. Think about it; we use our thumbs for everything...that's what makes more able than animals...so the pad of your thumb is almost constantly in use. So if you get a cut there, it's almost constantly in contact with something else, which, if you've ever had a cut, hurts. On top of that, it took half an hour for the stupid thing to stop bleeding! I've never had a cut bleed around a bandaid, but this one did. I put a bandaid on and within half a minute, blood was coming out the sides. Gross, I know, but that's my discovery. Don't cut your thumb. Luckily, however, it seems to heal really fast...it's been what, four days, and it's healed over enough that I don't have to worry about it randomly starting to bleed on everything...so there's my morbid/gross discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment